Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Not the Chosen One - Chapter 3

I have spent days trying to up load this to fanfiction.net. The process of copy and pasting on their website makes it so hard to upload a chapter. It took me three days and hours of my time trying to save paragraph by paragraph because it won't do all of it at the same time. Alas, my birthday present to myself was getting this chapter done, which has pushed me over 10,000 words for this one document!

          Hagrid took us out to a brunch before it was time to deliver Harry and I to King’s Cross train station. I was talking to Hagrid about the different things we would be learning at Hogwarts and all the amazing wonders it has to hold. Moving stairs, talking paintings, and feasts every night! Harry, however, remained silent.
         “You all right, ‘arry? Ye seem very quiet,” Hagrid took notice.
         “He killed our parents, didn’t he? The one who gave me this. You know, Hagrid. I know you do,” Harry spoke for the first time that meal. Hagrid sighed looking nervous.
“First, and understand this you two, ‘cause it’s very important. Not all wizards are good. Some of them go bad. Years ago there was one wizard who went as bad as you can go. His name was V-… his name was V-…” Hagrid struggled to get out.
“Maybe if you wrote it down?” I offered trying to ease his discomfort.
“No, can’t spell it,” he admitted. “All right. ‘is name was Voldemort,” he whispered the name.
“Voldemort?” Harry questioned aloud, taking no note that Hagrid would rather our conversation be as quiet as possible.
“Shhhh… It was dark times, very dark times. You-Know-Who started gatherin’ followers. Turnin’ witches and wizards bad. Yer parents fought against him! But nobody lived once he decided to kill ‘em. Nobody… Not one. Except you ‘arry.”
“Me? Voldemort tried to kill… me?” Harry asked bewildered.
“Yes. That ain’t no ordinary cut on your forhead there, ‘arry. A mark like that only comes from being touched by a curse, an evil one at that,” Hagrid shook his head.
“Hagrid, what happened to Vol-” I began to say, before I saw the poor half-giant wince, “to You-Know-Who?”
“Some say he died. Codswallop in me opinion. No, I reckon he is still out there, too tired to fight. Something about you Harry, stumped him. That’s why you’re famous, Harry. That’s why e’erbody knows yer name. You’re the boy who lived,” Hagrid revealed.
“What about Rena? Did he try killing her? Why is it everybody knows me and not her?” Harry questioned. To be honest, I was quite curious as well.
“I don’t reckon You-Know-Who ever saw little Rena. When I found ye two at yer ‘ouse, Rena was in the wardrobe. Silent as a mouse, ye were. Took a while to find ya. Caught a glimpse of that fire hair of yers through a crack in the closet. That’s ‘ow I found you,” Hagrid explained. Harry was the boy who lived, while I was the girl in a closet.
As Hagrid finished an image ran through my mind. A flash of green, a scream, crying, another flash, and pain. A sharp pain from behind my ear burned as I heard that scream over and over.
“Rena!” Harry shouted.
“What?!” I jumped.
“We got to go! You were staring in space for quite a while…” Harry informed me.
“Best be off, if we are gonna make it to King’s Cross,” Hagrid smiled gathering his things.
“Right…To King’s Cross…”
Hagrid was walking us through the station, unaware of the copious amount of stares the three of us were receiving. Hagrid fumbled around in his overcoat, before pulling out two tickets labeled: London to Hogwarts, for ONE WAY travel, Platform 9 ¾.
“Stick to yer tickets, you two. I must be off. Dumbledore will be wanting his packa- Well he’ll be wanting to see me.”
“Platform nine and three quarters?” I wondered aloud.
“Hagrid, there must be a mistake. This says platform nine and three quarters. But there’s no such thing is there?” Harry asked staring at his ticket. I looked up when Hagrid didn’t answer to find he was nowhere in sight.
“Um… Harry? Yeah, I think we are on our own for this one…”
With Hagrid gone, we walked around aimlessly looking for platform 9 ¾ before we decided to risk looking crazy, and go ask a station guard where it was.
“Excuse me sir,” I approached the guard, “But where can we find platform nine and three quarters?”
“Think you’re funny do you?” He asked, instantly annoyed.
“No sir, sorry. We are looking for the train headed to Hogwarts,” I tried again, hoping we may get insight on where we are to go.
“And what part of the country, would you be thinkin’ that is?”
“Ummm, we don’t actually know,” Harry admitted.
“Get lost you two!” He snapped before whispering under his breath, “Damn kids these days.”
Harry and I continued to wander around platform 9 and 10 as we watched time ticking. I was beginning to fear we would miss the train all together if we couldn’t even find the train to Hogwarts. Harry was beginning to panic.
“Hagrid, must’ve forgotten to tell us something. Do you think we have to tap the wall between them, like he did at Diagon Alley?” Harry asked me.
Before I could answer, I noticed six heads of fire red hair, one of which looked very familiar.
“Harry do you see that family? I think I met one of those boys in Diagon Alley!” I said with excitement.
“Packed with Muggles, of course!” A plump woman leading the whole group exclaimed, confirming my suspicions. Harry and I gave each other a glance before attempting to follow them. “Come on. Platform 9 ¾ this way! All right, Percy, you first.”
What looked like to be the oldest boy, ran with his truck and owl straight for the brick wall. Right before my eyes, the boy completely disappeared through the wall.
“Alright. Fred, you next,” the mother said.
“I’m not Fred! I’m George,” said a boy standing next to a boy whom looked exactly like him. “Honestly, woman, you call yourself our mother? Can’t you tell I’m George?”
“Sorry, George, dear,” the woman apologized.
“Only joking, I am Fred,” said the boy, and with that he disappeared as well.
“Excuse me,” Harry called out to before any more red-heads could disappear. “Could you tell us how to…?” he asked pointing at the brick wall.
“How to get on the platform?” the plump woman asked.
“Yes ma’am. I’m Rena and this is my brother Harry. You see, it’s our first time at Hogwarts.” I told her.
“Yes, well not to worry, it’s Ron’s first year as well,” she said pointing to the boy I met while getting my robes. “Now all you have to do is walk straight through the barrier between the platforms. Best to give a bit of a run if you’re nervous. George why don’t you show them how to get on the platform.”
My eyes followed to the boy she was addressing. The boy looked at me and gave a wink before running off straight for the wall. He miraculously vanished as his brothers did before, and it wasn’t until he disappeared that I let out a breath I didn’t know I was holding.
“Ladies first. Rena, why don’t you give it a go?”
With her request I began to run, a hand on my cart with luggage and a hand on Winnie’s cage, so she wouldn’t fall over. Within seconds I too went through the wall. On the other side was a platform where a beautiful red train was docked with a sign naming it the Hogwarts Express. Kids and their families were saying goodbye, owls were hooting, mothers were crying, and cats wound in and out of the crowds’ feet.
“Woah,” I heard my brother let out.
“Isn’t it brilliant, Harry?” I said with a smile. “C’mon! Let’s get a seat before they are all gone!”
The first few carriages were already full. Students hung out the windows and some fought over seats. Harry and I continued down the platform looking for a seat.
Harry and I pressed forward before finding an empty compartment near the end of the train. We put our owls inside before trying to lift our trunks up the steps. However, with both of our small statures, neither of us was making much progress.
“Want a hand?” I turned to see one of the boys that went through the barrier right before me. I found myself instantly smiling at his kindness.
“Yes, please,” Harry panted before I could respond. The boy just chuckled before calling out for help.
“Oy, Fred! C’mere and give us a hand!” He yelled to his twin before picking up my trunk. With the twins’ help, Harry and I got our luggage tucked away in our own compartment.
“Thanks,” Harry said pushing out the sweaty hair from his eyes.
“What’s that?” one of the twins said suddenly, pointing to Harry’s scar.
“Blimely,” the other said. “Are you-?”
“He is!” the first one exclaimed. “Aren’t you? He added to Harry. Harry gave me a confused look, in which I just shrugged.
“What?” he asked stating his confusion.
“Harry Potter,” the twins chorused together. They were so much more in sync with each other than Harry and I were. Maybe it had something to do with being identical…
“Oh, him. I mean, yes, I am,” Harry said already turning a few shades redder. The two identical boys just seemed to gawk at Harry, before a voice took their focus.
“Fred? George? Are you there?”
“Coming, Mom,” they called out in unison. They both took another look at Harry, and the one who offered their help in the first place gave me a final glance before they were off. It was hard to tell them apart, but the boy that offered to help was slightly taller than his twin. I would have to see if I could find anything else to tell them apart, or else I wouldn’t know who is who unless they were together. Though I doubt they are rarely apart…
Harry started talking to me about how he had a feeling the whole ‘boy who lived’ thing was going to come up a lot and how he wondered if there was anyone who didn’t know who he was or something. I pretended to pay attention as I truly watched the twin boys meet up with their family.
“Can’t I go too, mum?” the only girl of the siblings begged her mother.
“Next year, Ginny. You are still too young. Where’s Percy?” the mother inquired as the little girl gave a pout. The oldest boy came into sight already dressed in his robes. I noticed in addition to his robes he wore a red and gold badge with the letter P on it.
“Can’t stay long, Mother. I’m up front, the prefects have got two compartments to themselves,” He boasted. While he looked as if he was to continue one of the twins cut him off.
“Oh, are you a prefect, Percy?” one of the twins asked with a thick sense of surprise. “You should have said something. We had no idea!”
“Now wait a minute there, Freddie. I think I remember him saying something about it,” said the other twin. “Once,”
“Or twice,”
“A minute­,”
“All summer!” the twins listed back and forth.
“Oh, shut up,” said Percy the Prefect.
“How come Percy gets new robes?” the boy I met in Madam Malkins’ shop asked with a look of disappointment and annoyance.
“Because he’s a prefect,” said their mother fondly. “Alright dear, have a good term— send me an owl when you’ve arrived,” she addressed the prefect. She continued now facing the twins, “Now, you two. You best behave yourselves this year. If I get one more owl telling me you’ve—you’ve blown up a toilet or—”
“Great idea, Mom. Thanks!”
“Not funny you two! And look after Ron,” she said with a motherly worry.
“Don’t worry, ickle Ronniekins is safe with us.”
“Shut up,” said Ron. As I watched I noticed Ron was already almost as tall as the twins, despite being younger.
“Ren, are you even listening to me?” Harry asked snapping my attention back to him.
“What? Yeah, of course, Harry!”
“Really? ‘Cause I called your name like four times and you didn’t answer,” He informed me while glaring.
“Sorry, but-”
“You know who that black-haired boy was near us in the train station? Know who he is?” That got both of our attention, cutting off my apology.
“Who?” the red-haired mother questioned.
“Harry Potter!” the twins exclaimed excitedly.
“Can I go on the train and see him, Mom, please?” the little girl begged.
“You’ve already seen him, Ginny. The poor boy is not something you goggle at in a zoo. How do you even know it’s him, Fred?”
“We asked him. Saw the scar and everything. It’s really there – like lightning,” he informed her.
“Poor dear- no wonder him and that girl were alone, I wondered.”
“Never mind that,” Fred continued, “Do you think he remembers what You-Know-Who looks like?”
“Now don’t you dare ask him that! Do you hear me? That boy does not need reminding of that on his first day at school!” the mother scolded in a stern voice. I’m sure she would have kept going if it weren’t for a whistle blowing indicating our soon departure.
As the train began to move, I looked at Harry. I thought, while making direct eye contact, how everything would be alright.
“I know it will, Ren. Still nervous. Aren’t you?” he asked as the compartment door slid open and the youngest redheaded boy came in.
“Anyone sitting here?” he asked pointing to the seat next to Harry. “Everywhere else is full.”
Harry shook his head as the boy sat down glancing at Harry, before quickly avoiding eye contact.
“Hey Ron,” I greeted him. “Do you remember me? We got fitted for our robes at the same time.”
“Uh yeah…” he said barely lifting his head.
“Right… Well, again, I’m Rena and this is my brother Harry,” I introduced us.
“Ron Weasley… Are you really Harry Potter?” Ron asked, in which Harry responded with a nod. “Oh I thought it might be one of Fred and George’s jokes… Do you really got—you know…” he tried to ask pointing to his forehead.
Harry pulled his bangs back to reveal the lightning scar.
“And you’re really his sister?” he asked me.
“Yep. Since birth and everything,” I joked.
“I didn’t even know Harry Potter had a sister,” Ron admitted.
“Are all your family wizards?” asked Harry.
“You must know loads of magic already!” I added excitedly once I saw he nodded.
“Eh, not really. I heard you lived with Muggles! What are they like?” Ron continued questioning.
“Horrible,” Harry quickly answered.
“Not all of them. Just our uncle, aunt and cousin were pretty bad,” I tried to clarify.
“Anything from the trolley, dears?” a woman pushing a cart filled with treats.
“Uh no thanks. I’m all set,” Ron said looking at a wrapped sandwich.
Harry jumped up and ended getting almost five of everything. I think he was so excited to finally be able to have a Mars Bars, but when I looked at the cart I noticed the woman didn’t have candies like anything I’d seen before. Taking a look around I decided to get a couple Chocolate Frogs, a few Pumpkin Pasties, and a Licorice Wand.
Harry and I learned a lot about the wizarding world from Ron in the span of our trip to Hogwarts. Chocolate frogs actually jump, but Ron insists it’s the card you want. In photographs the people move and don’t always stay in the photo. Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans really means every flavor, including sardines, the one I got. Quidditch was the best game in the world and Chudley Cannons were the team to support according to Ron. We also learned Ron had five brothers and a sister, and that his dad works in the Ministry of Magic. Also we met Ron’s rat, Scabbers. He was kind of pathetic, to be honest.
Just as Ron was attempting to perform a spell on him a girl with wild brown hair and large front teeth showed up in the door of our compartment.
“Have you seen a toad? A boy named Neville’s lost one,” she said in a bossy tone a voice. “Are you doing magic? Let’s see it.”
Ron looked taken aback but continued anyway. “Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow. Turn this stupid fat rat yellow!”
When nothing happened, she rolled her eyes. “Are you sure that’s a real spell? Not a very good one is it? Only tried a few spells myself, but they’ve all worked for me. For example,” she said taking out her wand and pointing it to my brother’s face, “Oculus Reparo.”
With that Harry’s glasses, which were being held together with tape were fixed.
“Holy Cricket! You’re Harry Potter. I’m Hermione Granger… and you are…?” she asked looking at Ron.
“I’m… Ron Weasley,” he said with his mouth full.
“And I’m Rena. Rena Potter,” I smiled.
“Potter? I didn’t read that Harry had a sister…” she said looking confused. “Anyway, you three better change into your robes. Expect we will be arriving soon,” and with that she left.
By the time I got back from changing, we had already arrived and were being ushered over to boats. The first years got separated from everyone else and a boat ride later, we were standing in front of two large doors and a stern looking woman who had a very familiar air to her.
“Welcome to Hogwarts. In a few moments, you will pass through these doors and join your peers. Before you may take your seats, however, you must be sorted into one of four houses. Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, or Slytherin. Your house will be like your family here. Together your achievements will earn you house points. Any rule breaking, and you will lose points. The house with the most points at the end of the year will be awarded the House Cup,” she informed us all.
“Trevor!” a boy yelled grasping a toad that lay at the woman’s feet.
She gave him a stern look before saying, “The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily,” and taking her leave.
“It’s true then, the rumors on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts?” a blonde boy with an arrogant smirk asked. “I’m Malfoy, Draco Malfoy. This Crabbe and Goyle.” Ron snickered at his name. “Think my name is funny do you? No need to ask you yours. Red hair, and a hand me down robe? You must be a Weasley. You’ll soon find out some wizarding families are better than others, Potter. Don’t go making the wrong friends. I can help there,” he extended his hand to Harry.
“I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself, thanks,” Harry shot back looking at his hand with a smidge of disgust.
“We are ready for you now,” the woman said returning to lead us inside what she told us what the Great Hall.
Hermione ended up next to me and was telling me about the ceiling and how she learned it’s bewitched to look like the night sky from a book.
“Alright, wait here. Professor Dumbledore has a few words before we begin,” the woman told us stepping off to the side.
“I have a few start of terms notices I wish to announce. First years, welcome and please not the dark forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Our caretaker, Mr. Filch has also asked me to remind you that the third floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you. Professor McGonagall, you may continue,” an old man with a long white beard said before sitting down.
The woman brought out an old brown hat made from a worn fabric and set it on a stool. It began to sing about the different houses and when it was done, Professor McGonagall announced that she would call our names and the hat would announce our houses.
“Abbott, Hannah!” she began.
After a moment, the hat shouted out, “HUFFLEPUFF!” in which one of the four long rows of table burst into claps and cheers as the young girl joined her house.
A few more names passed before the woman called out Hermione’s name, “Granger, Hermione!” The girl ran from my side eager to be sorted.
“GRYFFINDOR!”
Neville, the boy with the toad, was sorted into Gryffindor, and Malfoy ended up in Slytherin. The hat barely sat on his head before deciding.
There weren’t many first years left, when I finally heard McGonagall call out my brother’s name.
“Potter, Harry!”
The entire hall broke out into whispers.
“Potter, did she say?”         
“The Harry Potter?”
Harry sat there with the hat on his head, when I noticed him whispering.
“GRYFFINDOR!” the hat burst out and Harry took a sigh of relief. The Gryffindor table exploded in cheers, and I could even hear the Weasley twins yelling, “WE GOT POTTER! WE GOT POTTER!” The whole table patted him as he took a seat, and I noticed even Professor Dumbledore was smiling.
Then my name was called.
“Potter, Rena!”
The entire room went dead silent. A pin could have dropped and I would have heard it as I made my way up to the stool. Once I sat down the hall burst into whispers.
“Potter?”        
“As in there’s a second one?”
“The Harry Potter has a sister?”
“Hello Ms. Potter,” a voice right in my ear greeted making me jump a little. “Hmmm, you are a difficult one. More so than your brother. A quick-witted mind, backed by plenty of cunningness. A need to prove yourself, but more so to protect those you care about. How very Hufflepuff of you… Yet, you would do anything for them, not matter the cost. Very brave, like Gryffindor… You could fit nicely in any of the houses. Where would you like to go, Ms. Potter?”
“Excuse me,” I thought to myself.
“Well, seeing as you show signs of all, I’d like your input.” I gave a glance to Harry at the Gryffindor table and he gave me an encouraging nod. “Ah to be with your brother… Your loyalty almost makes me want to put you in Hufflepuff, but no, better be…
         “GRYFFINDOR!” the hat finished aloud. I found myself sighing as well knowing I’d be with Harry.
         “WE GOT BOTH POTTERS! WE GOT BOTH POTTERS!” the Weasley twins yelled as everyone else cheered for me.
         Ron got placed into Gryffindor as well, and when the sorting was finished, we were reward with a feast. It was more food than I had ever seen in my life.
         I got to meet many of the first years in Gryffindor, including two boys named Seamus and Dean, Neville with his toad, and Lavender Brown, but I could tell I wasn’t going to like her much. I just prayed I didn’t share a room with her. We were still feasting, when I saw Harry clutch his forehead while looking at the professors’ table. When I looked up, I felt a burning behind my ear, and found myself in pain as well.
         “Who’s that speaking to Professor Quirrell?” Harry asked Percy.
         “That’s Professor Snape, head of Slytherin house. He teaches potions, but everyone knows it’s the Dark Arts he fancies,” Percy responded.
         As I looked at Professor Snape, I saw him staring at me with a strange look in his eyes, as though he had turmoil with me being there.
         After the feast, Percy led us up to the Gryffindor tower, where I learned I would be sharing a room with just Hermione. There were four other girls in Gryffindor in our year and the filled up an entire room to themselves, so Hermione and I go to share one just the two of us.
         We both got into bed talking about all we were going to learn in the coming weeks. I decided, while Hermione could be bossy, she meant well and would most likely prove to be a good friend.

         I fell asleep with a smile on my face, knowing this was the first time sleeping in my own bed. This year was just getting started and I was already excited and sure I was going to like it here.

2 comments:

  1. Does it make me a bad person that I wished she would have been put into Slytherin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all! She has very distinct personality overtime, and honestly Slytherin would have suited her just as well.

      Delete